Text or Call Today 571-403-2619


What to Do If You Are Appointed Guardian of an Older Adult in Virginia

Posted by Aubrey Sizer | Oct 14, 2020 | 0 Comments

If someone you love becomes mentally incapacitated and is incapable of making responsible decisions, the Circuit Court in the city or county where your loved one resides will appoint a substitute decision-maker for your loved one, called a "guardian" with respect to his or her health care, and a "conservator," with respect to his or her finances. Guardianship and Conservatorship is a legal relationship between a competent adult (the "guardian" or “conservator”) and a person who because of incapacity is no longer able to take care of his or her own affairs (the "ward").


Attorney Sizer provides customized and affordable estate planning (including wills, living trusts, powers of attorney, and advance medical directives); elder law services (including long-term care planning, special needs planning for the disabled, and guardianships and conservatorships); probate, estate and trust administration (including advising executors and administrators of estates about post-mortem planning and the local probate process in Virginia), as well as general aging and disability advice in Northern Virginia, including but not limited to Arlington, Alexandria, Ashburn, Bristow, Burke, Centreville, Chantilly, Gainesville, Fairfax, Falls Church, Haymarket, Herndon, Leesburg, Manassas, Manassas Park, Reston, Springfield, Sterling, and throughout Loudoun, Prince William, and Fairfax counties.